Thursday, July 23, 2015

Swoon Block Pillow

I have had a busy couple of weeks. We had two of my nephews for four day/three nights. We don't have any children...not two-legged children anyway so it was an adjustment getting used to have the boys running around the house. We went to the zoo, played in shaving cream, watched movies, played at three different parks, made homemade ice cream, and many other things. I know I teach kindergarten and I have 13-18 kids during the school year, but that time is always pretty routine oriented. Having kids without a plan or routine is a little bit scary for me. I have also gone to the beach and walked a trail with my sister and had a movie / game night with my mom and sister. So, needless to say I have been having fun I just haven't had craft time. Tonight was the first time I made it to my craft room since last week Wednesday.

Now to share the project that I finally made!!! I have been admiring the Swoon Block for a long time. I love this block...I finally found a good tutorial online and got busy. Here is the link for the tutorial I used. http://doublenickelquilts.blogspot.com/2012/03/scrappy-nickel-swoon-quilt-block.html It was well written, but it was written for charm squares, so just keep in mind that for most of the pieces you really only need to cut 2 1/2 in squares, so you could use any fabric 2 1/2 inches wide.

Here is my finished block.


 
 
It was so pretty. I knew I needed to do something fun with it. A pillow! *HINT* If you don't want to buy expensive pillow forms or stuffing, you can buy the cheap $2 pillows from Walmart and pull the stuffing from them! If you are going to do this instead of buying a pillow form, but still want your pillow to appear very smooth (no lumps) then just apply fusible fleece to the front and back pieces of your fabric before stitching and turning.
 
 

The last thing that I really wanted to share with you is this excellent recipe I found for Apple Crisp. Isn't it gorgeous. It is even prettier once it has been baked, but I was so excited to try it that I forgot to get a picture. Here is the link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Oatmeal-Crisp/. This recipe is great for many reasons, but I like it best because it has the crumb topping on top and bottom and everyone knows the crumb topping is the best part!!!

 
 
Hopefully I will find some more sewing time this weekend. I have a Summer Day and Night QAL Block to get done! I am going on an overnight trip next week and summer school starts a week from Monday! Hopefully you have been making the most of your summer as well! Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! Your pillow is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty pillow. Love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Swoon block surely does make for a perfect pillow!!! And the apple crisp looks yummy indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete