Thursday, June 11, 2015

A True Ugly Duckling Dresser Makeover

This dresser was given to me from my mom...well actually my brother. Basically, if I didn't want it, it was going to go to the wood pile. I agreed to take it without looking at it and when I pulled up to find it in my garage I was wondering if maybe I should just take it to the wood pile. I had thought quick paint job, no problem! But when I saw it I noticed that the drawers didn't actually fit right in the dresser. I immediately got rid of the top drawers that were falling apart. I saved the bottom one since it was still in good condition. I brainstormed for a couple of weeks what to do with the dresser. I finally told my husband if it wasn't done in six months he had to get rid of it. I decided that it could work as a shelf. I was able to buy wood for the shelves and got them cut to size at Lowes...only I hadn't measured quite right and the dresser and shelves sat untouched for another two months. Finally, last weekend we went to my in-laws and I was able to get the boards cut to the perfect size. I spent about three hours painting this morning. I did three coats over the entire dresser. I used self-priming paint and I used a brush to brush it on. I was worried about the brush strokes, but they really smoothed out as it dried. I haven't decided where I will use this for sure. I am thinking fabric storage in my sewing room but it could also go in the guest room or in the living room... Once I have decided on where and what I am going to use it for I may post another picture.
Update!It found it's home in my sewing room.

No comments:

Post a Comment