Monday, January 18, 2016

A Wintery Table Runner and a Comfort Food Recipe

Hello...I am still here... I have just been lacking inspiration for a while. Today school was cancelled due to very cold (-25/30 degree wind-chills) weather. Yesterday was even colder. Needless to say I didn't exactly get outside much.

Yesterday I spent the day cooking. I made this excellent Baked Chicken Alfredo. I found the recipe on Gimme Some Oven. I used a canned sauce because I have never cooked with Alfredo before...I am kind of ashamed to type that! I also doubled the cheese in the recipe, because who doesn't LOVE cheese?! I look forward to trying a homemade Alfredo sauce sometime. I also turned on the broiler to brown the cheese. It tastes as good as it looks! I promise!
 
 
I also took advantage of this extra time and spent a couple of hours in my sewing room. I had "NOTHING to work on" or at least that's what I have been telling my husband since Christmas. Truth is I had bought the stuff to make a fun wintery table runner and it was just sitting there because it was not what I wanted to work on. I also have a partially finished quilt with solids that I am just not loving but should finish up. The last project I have going is a queen size sampler quilt I finished in May, but haven't quilted or taken to be quilted. So, I have decided I will finish these things before I do anything else. Today I tackled the winter table runner and even though it wasn't what I thought I wanted to do I had a lot of fun and it felt good to be back in my sewing room.
 
 
 
I used a 1/4 yd of the snowmen print and an 1/8 yd each of the green, red, and white. I cut (7) 4 1/2 in squares of the snowmen. Then I made (8) pinwheel blocks. I started with 2 7/8 inch squares cut diagonally for the half square triangles to make my pinwheels. I quilted it using large circles. I thought it would be cute if they looked like snowballs. This is really a little short to use as a table runner, I will put it on one of our many side tables. If you want to use it for a table runner I would suggest using 10 snowmen blocks and 11 pinwheel blocks. You should not need to buy extra fabric I had enough left over I could have made it longer.
 
Have a great week and hopefully you'll hear from me soon!
 



6 comments:

  1. That chicken alfredo looks delicious, and the table runner is super cute. I'd love if you'd join my linky party @ http://quiltingmod.blogspot.com/2015/12/lessons-learned-linky-1.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing ugly-duckling-ish about this one: it's gorgeous! Thank you so much for bringing it to SHARE IT 44 at www.FineCraftGuild.com . I love this and will pin it and G+ it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute runner -- those snowmen are darling! Thanks for sharing at Sew Cute Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowmen and pinwheels make a great combination! Where did you find the snowman fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased the fabric at The Quilt Peddler (local quilt shop) in Southwest Wisconsin.

      Delete
  5. Very cute table runner! Simple, but effective. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete